Re: That's When I'd Get Knocked Down #Theo #Tristan

Steph

Who: Theo

With: Tristan

Where: Merchant's Quarter, King's City

When: March 14t, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

"Yeah," he said after a moment of self-chiding. "There's bound to be a circle around here somewhere. I'll help you find it. I should probably do some travelling myself. Errands to run and the like. Where is your home again...? Not sure I've asked. Sorry."

Theo hadn't meant for his appeal to hit Tristan with quite so much guilt. Home wasn't supposed to be a thing that mattered in Eventyr. This was the escape, the vacation, the video game where you didn't have to worry about whatever was going on in the real world. It wasn't supposed to be the Sword Art Online of escapism, though--an inescapable work of escapism. Thus far, he'd never really had to lean on Tristan in this way. It felt odd. He leaned back a little and put on his best relaxed-happy smile--the kind you threw around at press conferences or when the paparazzi caught up with you "unexpectedly."

"No need to apologize, Sir Knight," he said. "Even if I'd told you, you wouldn't remember it. Little place out called Greenwich Village."

This was one of those times when Theo felt absolutely comfortable using a real-world name. It sounded like the sort of name one of these medieval villages would have, after all. He knew from experience that it was often easier to come up with close truths than spin falsehoods. Some day, if Tristan ever asked him again, and Theo went and changed the name of his home, he might start to make Tristan suspicious that he was hiding something from him.

"It's far enough away that it would be too expensive and take too long for me to get home by horse or ship," he said. "I know fairy circles are risky business, but for the honor of training with such a skilled knight, it's usually worth it."