Re: Stay Up on That Rise, and Never Come Down #Jaya #Brandy #Tristan

Steph

Who: Jaya
With: Brandy, Tristan
Where: The Western Plains, approaching Lord Oskar's Manor
When: March 28th, 872 RoK

Jaya did have to admit that Brandy brought up a good point. As much as she wanted to be hopeful that the humans who'd hired them to deal with this threat would be all the humans they'd have to worry about, thralls were a problem. She felt a small sense of relief when Tristan picked up the question and offered the practical answer, even if it was the cruel one.

And, until she'd really started to think about the likelihood that there were more people from Earth than just the ones she'd encountered thus far, she would have been right on board with the sentiment. Now, she hesitated. How many of those thralls were New Yorkers getting a little fantasy fix over the holiday break? Was there any way to be sure?

If Eventyrians were descended from New Yorkers, did that mean their lives were worth any less?

And, what if one of those thralls shoved something into Jaya's hands and it left Jaya with that feeling of indebtedness that seemed to overtake her here sometimes.

She unconsciously tightened her grip on one of the knives she wore at her hip, anchoring herself in the moment. Worrying about those what-ifs wouldn't help.

"We prioritize our lives first," she decided. "As for weaknesses, I've helped slay a few in the past. Decapitation, fire, totally taking out their heart--that seems to do it. I've never tried the other Dracula staples, like garlic." She glanced over at Brandy. "Is there even garlic around these parts? I swear you've cooked with it before--or something close enough to it."

Name-dropping Dracula was intentional. She didn't know Tristan well, but maybe she could get a sense of whether he was from Earth or not from that. If he showed no recognition, she could brush it off as an old story from her home village.