Re: The Babe With the Power #James #Malia #Sanya

Steph

Who: Sanya Nimr
With: James Castille, Malia Campbell, other royal party guests
Where: Castle courtyard, King's City
When: February 28th, evening

"A fascinating story, my lady. We use eagles for hunting in the East.... We prefer larger prey than mice" "Forgive my unmannerly disposition, ladies. My demeanor is not for festivities of birthright or social graces, but marauders in the enchanted woods. And the soon to come execution of one of their werewolves in these very dungeons....  Will surely bring more tolerable, genteel behavior in polite society"

Falconry, Sanya half wanted to point out, was the art of training all forms of birds of prey, not falcons only. But she could hear her mother's voice chiding her.

Picking on individual words is pedantic, childish, and gains you nothing, Sanya.

And reacting to the comment by picking at it would call more attention to it, when the Duke was already moving the conversation along to a new point, and the Duchess had followed suit.

"Will you be staying in town for the execution?" ... "The werewolf came from your duchy - why did you decide have him executed here, instead of doing the deed yourself?" With a small smirk she hid behind a sip of her wine, she added, "Or, do you plan to?"

The werewolf. A neutral topic, with any good fortune. Surely they all maintained the sensible logic that creatures were a pox that needed to be destroyed. The Duke could be as uncouth as he wanted, the Duchess as rootless, and it didn't particularly matter when discussing a literal monster.

"Classes at the Queen's College resume the morning of the execution, so it's unlikely I'll be out of town, unless my parents' health grows worse," Sanya said to answer Malia's question--though she left it vague as to whether or not she intended to attend the execution itself. "I am curious, myself, how the werewolf was brought from the Forest, and why the Castle dungeon is being used to hold the beast. I'd think, in most circumstances, it would be best to keep a werewolf well and truly away from the king's pregnant consort."

Her comment was a gentle test of the waters, too. Sanya was a little less curious about the werewolf itself so much as the Duke and Duchess's opinions of the king's decision-making of late. Did they see wisdom in His Majesty's actions or find them flawed?