Topics

That's When I'd Get Knocked Down #Theo #Tristan

Steph

Who: Theo

With: Tristan

Where: Merchant's Quarter, King's City

When: March 14th, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

After another day of valiantly slaying zombies and helping with the city clean-up efforts, Theo appreciated the chance to sit down and rest for a meal with his mentor-knight Tristan. The city officials had opened their coffers to pay individuals who were helping with the efforts--not a large sum, but enough for one of the more premium hot meals being served by street vendors. Theo sat down across from Tristan at the table and passed him a plate.

"So," Theo said. He'd been thinking about this for a while now. He wasn't sure how the time difference between Eventyr and New York worked, but he did know that if he was stuck here much longer, he'd miss a recording gig, and everyone would be furious with him. It had been four days. Probably at least a day, maybe more, on Earth. Someone was bound to have noticed he was missing by now. "I've got to get home. Check in with my family. You know how it is. The only problem is that usually I use fairy circles to do it, and I haven't seen a one around the city since before the Plague Night. Can you help me?"

<Tag!>

Vincent Gonzales <alchemicalnonsense2578@...>

Who: Tristan
With: Theo
Where: Merchant's Quarter, King's City
When: March 14t, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

The last couple of days had been exhausting. Not only had Tristan found himself in the middle of a fucking zombie apocalypse, he'd done so as a knight in shining armor with a ever-driving sense of duty to protect the people around him. While he'd always found himself drawn to do what was right and protect those he could, it'd never felt so...visceral. Like he needed to save these people. Still, he was bone-tired and wary, absent-mindedly picking what appeared to be a bit of...zombie that was stuck under the straps of one of his greaves. What he wouldn't give for a hot shower right about now...

As Theo dropped down warm food in front of him, Tristan looked up with a thankful smile. A bit of chicken and bread would go a long way to easing his mood, he knew. While it lacked the portability of meat pies, he didn't think any merchant with half a mind would be selling those in King's City any time soon.

<<<<<

"So," <...> "I've got to get home. Check in with my family. You know how it is. The only problem is that usually I use fairy circles to do it, and I haven't seen a one around the city since before the Plague Night. Can you help me?"

Tristan looked up from scarfing down his meat and nodded slowly, mulling over the young man's words. He...likely had responsibilities to a homestead or something to attend to. And here Tristan had been, all ready to keep playing to hero with no consideration to Theo's needs. No better than all the other knights in this town. Damn. He'd have to do better. "Yeah," he said after a moment of self-chiding. "There's bound to be a circle around here somewhere. I'll help you find it. I should probably do some travelling myself. Errands to run and the like. Where is your home again...? Not sure I've asked. Sorry."

Who: Theo

With: Tristan

Where: Merchant's Quarter, King's City

When: March 14t, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

"Yeah," he said after a moment of self-chiding. "There's bound to be a circle around here somewhere. I'll help you find it. I should probably do some travelling myself. Errands to run and the like. Where is your home again...? Not sure I've asked. Sorry."

Theo hadn't meant for his appeal to hit Tristan with quite so much guilt. Home wasn't supposed to be a thing that mattered in Eventyr. This was the escape, the vacation, the video game where you didn't have to worry about whatever was going on in the real world. It wasn't supposed to be the Sword Art Online of escapism, though--an inescapable work of escapism. Thus far, he'd never really had to lean on Tristan in this way. It felt odd. He leaned back a little and put on his best relaxed-happy smile--the kind you threw around at press conferences or when the paparazzi caught up with you "unexpectedly."

"No need to apologize, Sir Knight," he said. "Even if I'd told you, you wouldn't remember it. Little place out called Greenwich Village."

This was one of those times when Theo felt absolutely comfortable using a real-world name. It sounded like the sort of name one of these medieval villages would have, after all. He knew from experience that it was often easier to come up with close truths than spin falsehoods. Some day, if Tristan ever asked him again, and Theo went and changed the name of his home, he might start to make Tristan suspicious that he was hiding something from him.

"It's far enough away that it would be too expensive and take too long for me to get home by horse or ship," he said. "I know fairy circles are risky business, but for the honor of training with such a skilled knight, it's usually worth it."

<Tag!>

Vincent Gonzales <alchemicalnonsense2578@...>

Who: Tristan
With: Theo
Where: Merchant's Quarter, King's City
When: March 14t, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

Tristan nodded and waved off the 'sir knight' nonsense that Theo seemed to insist on. He, technically, wasn't a knight. Knight errant, maybe. After all, he owed no allegiance to noble or land. He just...did what was right.

"Even if I'd told you, you wouldn't remember it. Little place out called Greenwich Village."
<<<<

As he went to stuff the last of his bread into his mouth, Tristan inexplicably missed as his head jerked up at a name he recognized all too well. The Village, as he had often called it, was a well-known part of West Manhattan. His mind racked back over details about what he knew about his little friend. Gaps in Theo's knowledge on Eventyr's history, much like him. It was...too damn close to be a coincidence, he thought.

Tristan nodded, silently ignoring the compliment about being a great knight as his mind continued to race along the lines of if Theo really was from New York. "We'll search for a circle, sure, but just in case, we should probably plot out a ride home. How many days' travel is your village? In which region is it located?" He had to be sure...

Who: Theo
With: Tristan
Where: Merchant's Quarter, King's City
When: March 14t, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

*Tristan Awkward Pause. then probing questions*

This knight did not hide his surprise well. There was no mistaking the recognition evident in how Tristan jerked his head up and missed his mouth entirely. Tristan was a skilled knight and a valiant guardian of the realm of Eventyr. There was no way he could actually be from New York City... was there? Two possibilities spread out in front of him. Either there was a Greenwich Village in Eventyr somewhere, and something had happened there in Tristan's past, or Tristan was actually from Earth. He'd keep up the facade best as he could.

"It's southwest," he said. "There's a road that runs past it on the east side, we call Broadway because it's just so wide, but I honestly don't know what it's called up this way." Theo was watching Tristan closely as he said this. "Can't say how long it would take to get from King's City to the Village. I've never actually used the road to do it, you know?"

<Tag!>

Vincent Gonzales <alchemicalnonsense2578@...>

Who: Tristan
With: Theo
Where: Merchant's Quarter, King's City
When: March 14t, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

Tristan had to stop himself from rolling his eyes at just how bad of a dodge Theo's description was. He lived off of Broadway...which got it's name from how broad it was...He had fond memories of he and his mother getting off the D line and walking down Broadway as she told stories of the founding fathers and the native men and women that came before them. She liked history, and loved her city.

But, that was all kind of besides the point. The fact was, Theo was from New York. What the hell were the odds?! So, Tristan nodded along as Theo spoke, leaning in as the perfect question came to mind to really confirm his suspicions. "I think I only need to know one more thing before we find you a fairy circle home," he said, fighting back a smile. "Yankees or Mets?"

Who: Theo
With: Tristan
Where: Merchant's Quarter, King's City
When: March 14th, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

"Yankees or Mets?"

Theo hadn't exactly been trying to get away with a neat and tidy clean lie. If his mentor knight was from Earth, he wanted to know it, without a doubt. So Tristan's very direct, very Earth-specific question brought a beaming smile out of him, and he didn't bother to hide it. Instead, he held a closed fist up for a fist bump as he replied.

"Mets, man. Hope that doesn't make us mortal enemies, after all we've been through these last few days," he said. "I wouldn't have thought for a second you're actually from my neck of the woods. You had me fooled. The knight gear, your skills, everything. You must have years of experience here. I only just stumbled my way through..."

He checked his volume as he spoke. As excited as he was, there was no telling how the locals might react if they were too open about being from an entirely different world. In his experiences thus far, he'd seen that some could be a little bit suspicious about perceived witches, after all. It wouldn't be any kind of good to get thrown over the waterfall because he said the wrong thing at the wrong time.

"I've got a recording session on the twenty-third. Since I was only planning to be here for the announcement, I didn't think it was going to be a problem, but we're almost three days deep, and no exit in sight. Best as i can tell, time's a little faster here, so I probably haven't missed it yet..." It felt like a huge weight off of his shoulders to just be honest and direct about why he needed to get home, and where home was, exactly. "Do you have family missing you? Work?"

<Tag!>

Vincent Gonzales <alchemicalnonsense2578@...>

Who: Tristan
With: Theo
Where: Merchant's Quarter, King's City
When: March 14th, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

Of course he was a fucking Mets fan... Well, no one could be perfect, Tristan supposed as he nodded along, taking the compliment for what it was. "I'm former military," he responded, "seems like a lot of my skills and gear kind of...transferred over. I got a lot of training on survival in adverse environments. The rest is just kind of acting on instinct."

Tristan leaned in as Theo lowered his voice, realizing that they very well could have people listening in. Theo was way smarter than Tristan gave his New Yorkian squire credit for. "I think we're around twice as fast, here, but I haven't had time to test it. It's more of a...guess-timate," Tristan admitted, with a nod, hesitating as the other question hit. Family? Missing him? Right...

"This is my job," he said with a shrug, hand resting casually on the pommel of his sword. "Hell of a lot better than most vets get on offer, after the military is done with them..." Tristan couldn't help the bitterness in his voice as the grumble almost came out as a growl. "But here, I can make some damn good coin and it pays the bills back home. It's not a bad gig."

Despite the fact that it was fascinating, to hear about someone who, like him, wasn't from here, and it filled him with hope about someday bringing his grandmother with him, he realized that this did mean they were in kind of a time crunch. "Alright. So let's find you a circle, then. Gotta get home for that... wait, what did you mean recording session?!"

Who: Theo
With: Tristan
Where: Merchant's Quarter, King's City
When: March 14th, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

"Alright. So let's find you a circle, then. Gotta get home for that... wait, what did you mean recording session?!"

Theo's brow furrowed slightly as he weighed Tristan's story in his mind--a vet, skills transferred, this was his job. He knew in a vague theoretical way that the military didn't always serve its soldiers as well as they served it, but people in his life circles tended to be the crowd that supported the troops rather than becoming the troops. It hadn't really occurred to him to try to bring Eventyr coin back to New York to see what happened because he didn't need it. This was his escape.

And, since they weren't hiding anything at this point, he gave a bit of a rueful smile as he offered his response, openly. "I know I don't look it here--when I cross through, I get this golden blond, blue-eyed thing going for me. On the other side, I'm Theo Stryker, of Monday Goes Wild."

He let the revelation hang there. He knew that Tristan wasn't exactly the target demographic, but the band had been around for nearly eight years, and a couple of their songs had topped charts.

"We're doing a nondenominational holiday charity thing, couple of feel-good songs about hope and light the fans can download and choose how much they pay. All proceeds to... the Trevor Project this time, I think? I'd popped over here for a party before I dug into the publicity packet."

He got to his feet, starting to head for the door with a shrug. "I heard that there's a couple of apothecary-type places where the college students buy their eyes of newt or whatever they need for their magic potions--one that's on the shadier side of things in the Soldier's Quarter. I sort of doubt the zombies cared about raiding for fairy dust. If we can get inside, maybe we find a stash and get us home. Or... well, do you live here or just work here?"

<Tag!>

Vincent Gonzales <alchemicalnonsense2578@...>

Who: Tristan
With: Theo
Where: Merchant's Quarter, King's City
When: March 14th, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

So, as it turned out, Tristan's squire was a bona fide superstar. That was...one of the more surprising things he'd learned since coming to Eventyr. And while Tristan could not, for the life of him, understand why someone who quite literally was living a dream life in New York would decide to come play out the role of a knight's assistant, of all things, he didn't push it, or tease Theo. While his music wasn't exactly to Tristan's taste, he at least knew who this guy was, even if he didn't know why he was here.

He had to have his reasons. Just like Tristan did. And that was enough, for now.

As they walked, Tristan picked up the conversation, leading them the Merchant's Quarter and towards the Soldier's Quarter - not exactly the nicest part of town. "I'm sure rent would be a hell of a lot cheaper here, then back home, but I've still got an apartment back in Brooklyn. I'm not nobility, so owning land is sort of out of the question for now. It's all part of the whole...Knight Errant thing."

Tristan ducked belong a low-hanging branch and eyed the street ahead of them with a sigh, where a group of disheveled men stood in a rough circle, just far enough that he couldn't make out details. "What do you think?" Tristan asked. "Zombies or cutthroats?"

Who: Theo
With: Tristan
Where: Merchant's Quarter, King's City
When: March 14th, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

Somehow, it came as a relief that Tristan didn't call Theo out, doubt him, or tease him. He treated it levelly--a new fact about a friend. And, walking side by side down the road with Tristan, even though it was a pseudo-medieval fantasy land, even though they were both far from home, now that this truth was out there between them and Theo didn't have to pretend to be a local, it honestly felt a whole lot more like he was walking along with a friend. Genuine truth could do that could do that.

"Maybe we do have to find you that missing princess, then, so you can be the next king," Theo joked. "Or, I'm sure there's nobility with problems to be solved by your errant ways."

When Tristan ducked and sighed, Theo followed suit, making himself just a bit more scarce. After the last couple of days of zombie hunting, he was getting pretty good at picking up on Tristan's cues. He checked the street intersection and tried to mentally map out where they were. Just inside the Soldier's Quarter now, so it really was a toss-up.

"I'm going to hope it's zombies, because otherwise..." Theo trailed off, figuring he didn't need to finish that sentiment. It would be a lot harder to stomach fighting and killing non-zombies now that he knew some of them could actually be from the real world, too.

But, looking at them, seeing the way they were standing around, Theo really didn't think they could be zombies. Sure, he only had a couple days of so-called real life zombie hunting experience, but he'd yet to see them calm and docile. They were all looking at something, collectively.

There was a clatter, then a door slammed open, and another disheveled man came out carrying a bag. He joined the circle and dropped his bag in the middle of it.

"That all?" said one, voice rough, like he'd swallowed a few fistfuls of steel wool. "You can find better loot than this."

"Looters," Theo concluded in a whisper. "Should we go around them, try not to be noticed?"

<Tag!>