Topics

Burn your Biographies, Rewrite your History #Kyky #Sanya #manfred #rafael

Steph

Who: Sanya
With: Raphael -- Kyky, Manny
Where: The grasslands between the Western Plains and the Southern Desert
When: March 28th, 872 RoK

These were the lands of Sarnai's people. Sanya knew this, and in some corner of her mind, as she surveyed the wide wild plains, she knew Sarnai's family deserved to know what was happening to her. But she could not give them what they deserved. Unless or until Killick returned to the King's City or sent a message, it was best if no one knew where Sarnai was. And that wasn't Sanya's purpose for being here in the Southwest.

She'd come with Raphael to intercept her grandmother and thwart an alliance between the Dune Witch and the self-declared Queen of the West.

"The Witch can sniff out hypocrisy, insolence, crassness," Sanya said softly to Raph as they rode through the grass, following a horse trail. Two travelers on horseback, in modest clothes, no one important. This wasn't a meant to be a visible mission, even if it needed to be successful. "When she curses someone, they deserve it--but she is old and perceptive. She can find a deserving reason to curse anyone, no matter how slight their offense. If you bow with respect you do not feel, she could curse you to crawl on your belly as a snake until you feel the humility and respect you ought to feel in her presence. If you refuse to bow, she could curse you to be an unbowing, unyielding tree until you take a thousand lightning strikes. Every curse she utters, she uses to her advantage. But if you can somehow avoid slighting her, if you can be honest enough before her, she can't touch you with her magic."

She'd been avoiding talking too much about her family because it started her worrying unproductively. She couldn't waste time and energy wondering how her grandmother had gotten free or what the woman had done to her parents. She just had to shoulder ahead.

Who: Rafael

With: Sanya, Kyky, Manny

Where: The grasslands between the Western Plains and the Southern Desert

When: March 28th, 872 RoK

Wearing: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/15/cd/e8/15cde88263e270faf250bd67b09230e9.jpg

Sanya: "The Witch can sniff out hypocrisy, insolence, crassness," ... "When she curses someone, they deserve it--but she is old and perceptive. She can find a deserving reason to curse anyone, no matter how slight their offense. If you bow with respect you do not feel, she could curse you to crawl on your belly as a snake until you feel the humility and respect you ought to feel in her presence. If you refuse to bow, she could curse you to be an unbowing, unyielding tree until you take a thousand lightning strikes. Every curse she utters, she uses to her advantage. But if you can somehow avoid slighting her, if you can be honest enough before her, she can't touch you with her magic."

As Sanya spoke, Rafael couldn't help but wonder if it had been a stroke of good fortune that he and Sanya's courtship had fizzled out before it had ever begun. Sure, she was beautiful enough, and he enjoyed talking to her, but the more he heard about her grandmother, the more he thought that marrying into the Nimr family would likely be a bit like navigating a field of hornet nests. Eventually, he'd step on one and end up living out the rest of his days as a frog or a fence post.

"She sounds . . . lovely," he commented, dryly, making a mental note to be honest once they came face to face with the Southern witch. If he were being honest though, the anxious pit in Rafael's belly had more to do with the Western witch than it did the Southern one.

He turned in the saddle to cast a glance at Kyky and her centaur friend. "Are you planning to share that bit of knowledge with our traveling companions?" he asked, his voice just as low as Sanya's. "I guess I could be wrong but I'm assuming that survival is as high on their list of priorities as it is our own."

Sanya and Raf: *whispering*

Kyky was probably never going to get over the weirdness that was using your literal friend as a form of transportation. Even if it made sense, it had taken days and days of Kyky apologizing for her weight or the way she moved or the way she grabbed Manny's shoulder at a turn… it just wasn't a normal thing. You might personify your car (she had named her little Ford Focus in Parkland "Chad") and you might consider a horse a sentient being, but this was totally different.

Given how limited their funds were, though, riding made the most sense, and Kyky really wasn't sure how she felt about it.

Her eyes drifted to the pair ahead of them - the Duke of the South's daughter and the son of the Royal General (disgraced now though he was). They were whispering - strategizing, maybe. Sharing secrets, nuances of the politics. That was frustrating, on some level. Kyky was a commoner here in Eventyr, but she actually knew a lot about governments and power structures. Someday, she would be a bigtime journalist or diplomat or congresswoman…

Well, maybe. She would have to spend a lot more time at home to make any of those goals a reality.

"We can keep up with them," Kyky said to Manny, the double meaning of her words apparent, and her eyes met Rafael's briefly as he glanced back.

"I've heard this witch curses hypocrites," Kyky spoke up, her mind two steps ahead because she honestly didn't worry about being caught in inauthenticity. She could well have used her know-how to run in noble circles, live in luxury, but she focused on her goals. Making friends, making change. "How do you think the Queen of the West is going to fare with her?"

Tags!

Wearing: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/f0/f5/f3/f0f5f3edc8509cd2b6dafa977669852e.jpg?b=t

turksgirl

Manny's hooves kicked up some dirt, and he tried to be mindful of where he stepped since Kyky didn't have the benefit of a saddle to keep her on his back. He was glad they were over the chronic apology phase of their journey. He was starting to feel rather self conscious because of the discomfort he seemed to be causing his human friend. The young centaur had grown accustomed to her hand on his leather jerkin to help keep her balance.

"We can keep up with them," Kyky said to Manny, the double meaning of her words apparent, and her eyes met Rafael's briefly as he glanced back.

Manfred cocked his head and wasn't sure the other two humans wanted their company so close, or their ears. But he let his legs move smoothly into a faster walk and took some kind of solace in the tightening of his friend's hand on the side of his vest.

"I've heard this witch curses hypocrites," Kyky spoke up, her mind two steps ahead because she honestly didn't worry about being caught in inauthenticity. She could well have used her know-how to run in noble circles, live in luxury, but she focused on her goals. Making friends, making change. "How do you think the Queen of the West is going to fare with her?"

"Badly, I should think. But Rossi knows how to tell people what they want to hear...at least until actions say otherwise" he replied, swishing his tail in annoyance just thinking about how gullible the West had been accepting the Vampires. He inclined his head at the pair ahead of them. "They're talking about her..." Manny said in a low tone. "...The witch of the South".

His senses were on high alert, just thinking about the witch put him on edge."I hope the Duke and Duchess are alright" he mumbled, but with the witch loose it didn't look good.

Tags
Wearing: (Not much, lol) https://stardustlarp.co.uk/products/studded-italian-leather-jerkin-chose-colour-black-brown-green-red-blue-ren-fair-medieval-vest

Steph

Who: Sanya
With: Raphael, Kyky, Manny
Where: The grasslands between the Western Plains and the Southern Desert
When: March 28th, 872 RoK

For Sanya, talking about her grandmother was such a taboo. Her mother never wanted to discuss it or the woman's magic. The extent of her father's discussions started and ended with how he'd valiantly saved her mother and imprisoned the witch. Only her Aunt Sadiya would ever discuss magic in any sort of concrete way with Sanya, and those conversations were so sparse. It was family habit, to keep family secrets spoken softly only to those they trusted. Sanya hadn't actively meant to exclude her other traveling companions, but experience had a way of trumping success.

When Raph pointed out her unintentional exclusion, and Kyky pointedly asked questions about the witch, Sanya shifted in her saddle and turned to take a more inclusive angle, intent on correcting her behavior. Because Raph was right. They would be best able to survive together if they shared knowledge together.

"If she were unable to control herself and her curses, she never would have lived long enough to amass the amount of power she has now," Sanya said--speaking a little too much from experience. She knew she had to control her own magic, which was so similar to her grandmother's. "If my grandmother is going to meet Duchess Francesca, I doubt it's just to curse her and be done. She'll hear the woman out. Anyone who gets between this meeting is at the greatest risk."

She inclined her head to Manny then. "Your concern for my parents is a kindness in dark times. The best I can hope is that they escaped before my grandmother's magic could touch them, and they're in hiding. Since they haven't gotten a message to me, though, I expect they're imprisoned, or that if they are cursed. Each has wronged her, by her accounting, so they would be vulnerable to her magic.. If you draw the Dune Witch's attention, the best thing to do is to be respectful and honest--no lies, no half-truths."

<tag>

Manda

Kyky: "We can keep up with them," … "I've heard this witch curses hypocrites," ... "How do you think the Queen of the West is going to fare with her?"

Manny: "Badly, I should think. But Rossi knows how to tell people what they want to hear...at least until actions say otherwise"

Rafael's eyes went to the centaur, brows twitching downward as he wondered just how well this man knew Francesca. Manny wasn't wrong in his assessment, the cwn annwn admitted, thinking about his last encounter with her and the lies that flowed from her mouth like a river. Sure, they were lies that had saved his life, but lies nonetheless . . .

Sanya: "If she were unable to control herself and her curses, she never would have lived long enough to amass the amount of power she has now," ... "If my grandmother is going to meet Duchess Francesca, I doubt it's just to curse her and be done. She'll hear the woman out. Anyone who gets between this meeting is at the greatest risk." … "Your concern for my parents is a kindness in dark times. The best I can hope is that they escaped before my grandmother's magic could touch them, and they're in hiding. Since they haven't gotten a message to me, though, I expect they're imprisoned, or that if they are cursed. Each has wronged her, by her accounting, so they would be vulnerable to her magic.. If you draw the Dune Witch's attention, the best thing to do is to be respectful and honest--no lies, no half-truths."

But which was the bigger threat? Rafael wasn't really sure. Though, he glanced up at the sun overhead, it was daytime; Francesca wouldn't be without protection but she'd hardly be able to draw a horde of vampires down upon them . . .

Eyes going back to Manny and Kyky, Rafael considered each of them. Kyky was capable, though hardly a warrior, but centaurs were known for their skill with bow and arrow and Manny handled his like he knew what he was doing. Sanya . . . well, Rafael wasn't sure what her fighting abilities were but her knowledge of the Witch of the Dunes was enough to rival his knowledge of the Queen of the West . . .

And it was entirely possible, though unlikely, that none of them would even have to draw a weapon. Though, if he had the chance, Rafael knew that he should take it and assassinate Francesca. Knowing and doing were vastly different beasts though.

"Francesca's strongest asset is her vampires," Rafael said after a moment. And her ability to lie and deceive, but it felt oddly personal saying that aloud. "With the sun as high as it is, even if she had some with her, they'd be significantly weakened." Still, until recently, Rafael hadn't thought vampires could fly so what if some could walk in the sun? "If they make an appearance, aim for the head and heart." He paused, considered, then reached into the pouch at his waist and handed out small bits of cotton - two to each person. "And if I tell you to block your ears, do it."

Tags