Topics

Don't Ask Me How I've Been #Jaya #Kyky #manfred #Kira

Steph

Who: Kyky

With: Kira, Manny, Jaya

Where: Brickstone Tavern, Merchant's Quarter (A designated refugee/recovery location, due to the fact that its owner was killed by zombies and not there to object to this use.)

"Okay, so, great news," Kyky said, settling down at the table with her friends with a bowl full of food and a mouth full of gossip. Manny was there, along with Kira, who'd just come into the fold, and Jaya herself, who was - hopefully - enjoying her first meal that in no way involved any actual or desired human flesh. Kyky wore a fresh dress - it was of the most common make and made her look very low-class - but she wore a smile that clearly said nothing mattered except what she was saying.

"The city is secure!" It felt good to say, and so Kyky said it, even though she immediately had to hedge. "It's, like, mostly secure? Anyway, we can leave. We can go home." Kyky cast a significant glance toward Jaya - who she was sure wanted nothing more than to hit up a Walgreens for some fucking dramamine - and then a less-sure glance toward Manny, who… well, who she'd be sad to leave. Not just in all this, but at all. With all that conflict, Kyky's glance rested on Kira. "Look, Eventyr's not always like this…"

Wearing: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/1f/f4/14/1ff4142c09e8b461ff475e9a9c78c083.jpg

Steph

Who: Jaya

With: Kyky, Kira, Manny

Where: Brickstone Tavern, Merchant's Quarter

When: March 14t, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

Jaya was glad to have a bowl of predominantly vegetable stew sitting in front of her. Sure, it was refugee rabbit food, but also she didn't know if she would want to touch meat in Eventyr again for a long while after what she'd just been though. The fever, the hunger, the way it had affected her thoughts and her perception in such a powerful hallucinatory way... She'd never had such cravings before in her life, and she never wanted to experience them again. It was a good thing that Kira hadn't eaten any of the meat pie, a doubly good thing that somehow Kyky had been there to bring her and Kira to safety.

Her roommate had just been trying to bring Jaya something she'd forgotten, and for that good deed, now she was stuck in the middle of a medieval zombie apocalypse.

"Look, Eventyr's not always like this…"

"It's true," Jaya agreed, trying to muster a smile. "More often than not, you can get caught up in the sort of adventure that builds up to being knighted by the king. Well, except the king..." She swallowed, the pause a little too long. "I guess we still don't know who the next king is going to be at this rate."

She didn't know Manny well enough to know if he was from New York or if he was pure Eventyrian, but at the very least it seemed like Kyky trusted him. Still, Jaya intended to keep the Earth talk close to her chest and subtle.

"Things have just been... more sour lately than usual. I'm sorry I got you stuck in this, Kira," she said, knowing the words were weak, shallow. "We'll get home soon."

<Tag!>

Stone

Who: Kira

With: Kyky, Jaya, Manny

Where: Brickstone Tavern, Merchant's Quarter

When: March 14t, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

Kira had kept to herself for the last couple of days, which wasn’t anything surprising. She was overwhelmed by everything happening so quickly and not having enough time to process it all that being mute was the best response she could’ve came up with. She didn’t exactly know anyone else aside from Jaya and her friend Kyky, so that made her desire to be left alone much easier.

She had her arms wrapped around herself rather tightly as Kyky began to speak. It wasn’t hard to figure that Eventyr wasn’t always stuck in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, but she was still having a hard time believing that adventures were running around with swords and slaying dragons here in a medieval fantasy world.

With a hesitant shake of her head, she replied. “No, it’s my fault for trying to follow you.” Kira attempted a taught, tired, smile despite her internal doubts. “I hope we’ll be home soon.”

If there had been food set before her, she hadn’t touched it. She hadn’t yet found the desire to eat just yet.

turksgirl

Who: Manny
With: Kyky, Jaya, Kira
Where: Brickstone Tavern, Merchant's Quarter
When: March 14t, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

Manfred felt out of place at the table and sat closely to Kyky's side. He wasn't just the only male, but a centaur..... And from the way the girls tried to speak around him as if he weren't there, about their home... the only native of the realms. He kept his head down and let his hair hide his face as he carved and sanded a shaft for an arrow, keeping a ready supply just in case things went crazy.

He shifted restlessly, and was constantly watching the other survivors around them. The humanoid centaur's senses were still on high alert. "You're leaving...?" Manny finally ventured biting his lip and glancing at Kyky. Of course she wanted to leave, of course they all did. By the four witches, he wanted to go home too... to the farm in the North of the Western realm.

But he knew they were talking of a place that wasn't on a map that he had ever seen. Manny knew Kyky wasn't like him...and her friends too. Not centaurs, not from a normal city or township of Eventyr. If even from the realms. A frown pulled at his mouth as he set another piece of wood between his knees and took one of the strange curved blue daggers from the sheath to scrape bark and knots away.

(tags)

Rachel

Jaya: "It's true," "More often than not, you can get caught up in the sort of adventure that builds up to being knighted by the king. Well, except the king..." "I guess we still don't know who the next king is going to be at this rate." "Things have just been... more sour lately than usual. I'm sorry I got you stuck in this, Kira," "We'll get home soon."

Kira: “No, it’s my fault for trying to follow you.” “I hope we’ll be home soon.”

Manny: "You're leaving...?"

Kyky's eyes slid over to Manny when he piped up, and her eyes dropped to his hands and the skilled way he carved an arrow. "Lucky that no one here's going to be looking for you, huh?" She said instead. The last thing the Royal Guard would be doing was looking for escaped thieves. "You can probably go home, too…"

She sighed, quietly, because his words gave her the immediate impulse to promise that it wasn't that she was leaving forever, that she would be back… and that was true, but he'd been so ambivalent with her that she didn't know how to feel any further than she had in the fray - she knew she needed to know he was safe. But sometimes their connection was powerful enough to make her skin tingle, and other times she thought he was just going through the motions to be polite…

So she shrugged, a bit, and turned back to Kira, who was hugging herself in a concerningly self-soothing manner. Kyky reached out to touch the girl's hand, and tossed Jaya a glance in hopes of getting her buy-in.

"We'll get there, but, like - home is no picnic either," Kyky said, in all honesty. "We have tornadoes and hurricanes and wildfires and... wars that go on for decades, mass shootings every day, student and credit-card debt... " Her sigh, then, sounded like a wry laugh. "We abide it all because the media gives us a steady fix of dopamine so we don't notice." Texts, likes, shares, retweets, notifications… they'd been brainwashed to think that because they were distracted they were comfortable during an apocalypse not that different from the one happening, here, in Eventyr.

An off-centered smile pulled at Kyky's lips and she chuckled, "At least here, you can stab your problems through the eye, you know?" With a playful glance toward Jaya, Kyky added, "And no job you land at home will be as cool as a knighthood, can we just be real."

Who: Jaya
With: Kyky, Kira, Manny
Where: Brickstone Tavern, Merchant's Quarter
When: March 14t, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

"No, you didn't make a mistake, following me," Jaya said to Kira, shaking her head. "If anything, I could have been more honest with you. I mean, you probably wouldn't have believed me, but..."

Jaya's eyes were drawn to the movement and color of Manny's unusual daggers. Hey, she had what essentially amounted to a cloak of shadows, so she wasn't going to act too weird about in anyone else's odd personal possessions, but those daggers did seem very fine, at the very least. If the flow of conversation weren't more about staying, leaving, and hard realities, she might have asked him where he'd gotten them.

She could see how Kyky wanted her to contribute, and it wasn't exactly hard. "Yeah, getting dropped from temp job to temp job, living paycheck to paycheck, just barely scraping together rent... It's been nice to have an escape to a place where I can make a difference."

Sure, that difference mostly involved being the secretive assassin for hire known as the Ghost Blade, but it also meant traveling with Lord Bertilak and Kyky and other adventurers, and doing things that really seemed to help people.

"From the sound of things, we'll have to leave the city if we want to find a fairy circle to get home," she said. She pushed a plate of food a little closer to Kira--all of it vegetables and fruit, no meat. "Same direction as home for you, maybe, Manny. We'll need strength for the journey. Maybe we'll get lucky and meet a unicorn on the way, or come across a pixie dance party with plenty of pixie dust to make a fairy circle with. And I bet we can get some art supplies pretty cheap right now, if you wanted to do some drawing on the road. There are some beautiful sights, Kira."

Maybe mentioning Kira's craft would help snap her out of that tight ball of stress and trauma?

OOC: Writing out of turn because my centaur muse is twitching.

Who: Manny
With: Kyky, ,Jaya, Kira,
Where: Brickstone Tavern, Merchant's Quarter
When: March 14t, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

Manfred's brow arched and he glanced around the table at the other patrons. Thankfully most were too involved in their own problems to wonder about what a temp job or credit card debt was? The girls talked so strangely and yet he seemed to understand that where ever they came from it had it's share of problems like Eventyr. He looked up at Kyky when she said he could go home too, and that no one was probably looking for him. He smiled a little at her, he'd be a piss poor thief if he let someone get a good enough look at him to catch him.

Jaya, he was pretty sure that was her name said something about looking for fairy circles to go home and maybe heading in the same direction as him. "My family lives to the North-Western plains, in the furthest borders. Unicorns and pixies are usually found in the Eastern woods....." which wasn't exactly opposite of his home but on the other side of the Northern mountains. His fingers smoothed the crows feathers he was using for the fins on the arrows, the scavenger birds were in abundance in the city now. "But I could go with you there...until...."

He shrugged his shoulders unsure what would happen or what the girls were exactly looking for than a portal...Manfred had never had a fairy circle take him anywhere than within Eventyr's realms. He looked through his unruly hair at the quiet one in the group, Kira... "You do art?" he asked curiously, there were plenty of artists in the places people had money. She seemed to be in a funk, after effects of what happened clearly.

"You'll need horses".

Jaya: "Yeah, getting dropped from temp job to temp job, living paycheck to paycheck, just barely scraping together rent... It's been nice to have an escape to a place where I can make a difference."

Jaya: "From the sound of things, we'll have to leave the city if we want to find a fairy circle to get home," "Same direction as home for you, maybe, Manny. We'll need strength for the journey. Maybe we'll get lucky and meet a unicorn on the way, or come across a pixie dance party with plenty of pixie dust to make a fairy circle with. And I bet we can get some art supplies pretty cheap right now, if you wanted to do some drawing on the road. There are some beautiful sights, Kira."

Kyky finished her own meal quickly as she could, enticed and excited by the promise of an adventure on the horizon. "It'll be dangerous, too, Jaya, to be fair. But…" She shrugged it off as if to say it would all be fine, but then Manny picked up where she left off.

Manny: "My family lives to the North-Western plains, in the furthest borders. Unicorns and pixies are usually found in the Eastern woods....." "But I could go with you there...until...." "You do art?" "You'll need horses".

Of course! No one was going to mess with them if they had a centaur - which they did, even if he didn't exactly look like one. Yet. A sudden smile burst across Kyky's face like an exploding star. She gave Manny's shoulder a playful shove. "If only we knew someone who could help us with that!"

The truth was that most of the city's horses had been either stolen by citizens in the immediate escape from the zombies or appropriated 'for the public good' by the nobles afterward. There was one real exception - a stable run by Hadrian Cornwallis. He could have been famous for his service under then-Commander Gonzalo, fighting the zombie horde that had nearly taken the West off the map after the nobles had been wiped out there, a decade or so ago.  But he'd never cared for fame or position or promotion, and had even often refused to change his centaur form for a human one when ceremony called for it.

During the citywide zombie outbreak, Hadrian put his old skills to fierce use in defending his stable, his horses, and his employees. He stubbornly allowed for no theft and turned back every assault. He refused to give in to pressure from the nobles seeking horses, charging them double or triple for the use of his horses as supply-and-demand dictated raising the prices. Now that quiet had fallen, his stablehands were busily at work cleaning up corpses, arrows, and remnants of small blazes. The old veteran centaur himself clopped around the courtyard, supervising clean-up efforts…

"I really didn't think centaurs would be so big," Kyky said under her breath as the small group approached the gates, careful to keep her voice low as she knew they had acute senses as well. Because her general attitude of what's the worst that can happen? had a brand new context now, didn't it?

Who: Jaya
With: Kyky, Kira, Manny
Where: Brickstone Tavern, Merchant's Quarter
When: March 14t, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

"I really didn't think centaurs would be so big," Kyky said under her breath as the small group approached the gates, careful to keep her voice low as she knew they had acute senses as well. Because her general attitude of what's the worst that can happen? had a brand new context now, didn't it?

Jaya continued to feel responsible--for Kira coming through with her to Eventyr, and for... more than that, as well. Ever time she moved around the city, the weight of what she saw there hit harder than she expected. This was supposed to be a consequence-free vacation to fantasy land, but instead, ever since the king had died...

She didn't realize her thoughts had drifted while she walked with her compatriots down the streets of the King's City following a lead on where to buy some horses to speed up their exodus--not until Kyky spoke up and brought her back to the moment again. Maybe she could tell Kyky. They'd been adventuring together for a long time. Maybe Kyky would understand.

But not right now.

The smell more than anything else always surprised Jaya. Horses were huge animals. It shouldn't be a surprise that they smelled, regardless of how well-kept a stable was, how many hands were there to clean up the manure. It was the feed, too, and the wood chips, and sometimes the tang of metal from the horseshoes around the edges.

"Right?" Jaya agreed. "I mean, I never really expected them to stand any taller than your average human. Although, if I'm being honest, before I came here I didn't give a whole lot of thought to the size and stature of imaginary creatures." She paused and winced sheepishly as heavy hoof-clops came nearer. Had their host heard her? Was that offensive? "I really respect centaurs, though. Powerful, quick, not to be trifled with."

Who: Manny
With: Kira, Jaya, Kyky,
[...]

Manny tipped his head downward as they had walked to the stables, his mind in turmoil. What if this centaur proved unhelpful? He glanced over at Kyky, who seemed to have so much faith in him. Cornwallis was so much like his father, a mature stallion who took pride in being a centaur and rarely shifted to his two legged form. Looking upon the other horse-man Manfred suddenly missed his family, and the fear for them knotted low in his gut.

His brows arched as his female companions spoke a little too loudly. As the Cornwallis approached their group Manny threw his head back, and looked at the centaur with a wild eye stare from under his shaggy hair.  He gave a snort and stood his ground between the girls and the man-horse. It was a complicated dance of body language and with only two legs it was even more difficult to broadcast determination and not a straight out challenge.

"Hadrian Cornwallis, we seek your assistance".

Jaya: "Right?" "I mean, I never really expected them to stand any taller than your average human. Although, if I'm being honest, before I came here I didn't give a whole lot of thought to the size and stature of imaginary creatures." "I really respect centaurs, though. Powerful, quick, not to be trifled with."

Manny: "Hadrian Cornwallis, we seek your assistance".

Cornwallis approached the small group - and let some of the hostility out of his posture when the young man stepped forward. It was a bold move, seeing as Hadrian hadn't exactly been conducting business as usual, but the peculiar ticks in the boy's body language were a clear signal. Manfred was a centaur, even if he was on two legs in the moment.

Unwise. Surely whatever the young one had endured this week with the invasion would have been easier to withstand on four hooves instead.

"What assistance?" Cornwallis asked, but his words were flat enough that they barely sounded like a question, as he sized the boy up. After a thoughtful stretch, he seemed to shrug, in acknowledgement of his kinsman. "I can spare a calf, for you." For Manny's transition, presumably, back into his natural form.

Kyky reached out to squeeze Jaya's hand for encouragement quickly, then stepped forward, up to Manny's side, and offered a plaintive smile. "We don't have much, sir," she said, tapping into her political background. This was a prosperous citizen, but likely one who took pride in not doing what the 'establishment expected.' If she had to put money on it, he was the type who'd respond stronger, the less they tried to deal by traditional means. More likely to deal without money, or promises, or appeals to wealthy or influential family. "But we're good folk."

Cornwallis' brow raised a bit, head tilting to the side, as he assessed the familiar relationship between the two, clear as day to his keen senses. The girl stood close at his fellow centaur's side, spoke warmly, her torso turned toward his, easy glances, and so he naturally assumed the attraction he sensed between the two meant that they were together.  But she showed none of the tell-tale signs of being a centaur herself - and, naturally, Cornwallis' face shadowed with judgement. Wearing a human form could be excused (if with effort) but also courting humans?

Who: Jaya
With: Kyky, Kira, Manny
Where: Brickstone Tavern, Merchant's Quarter
When: March 14th, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

"Hadrian Cornwallis, we seek your assistance".
"We don't have much, sir," ... "But we're good folk."

Jaya squeezed Kyky's hand back in return, then she took the moment to just observe what was going on around her. She didn't know how it happened, exactly, but sometimes she just became aware of something that could give her the upper hand in a situation like this--some small advantage, the right words to sway the moment in her favor, the trick to success. It was how she as the Ghost Blade had managed to build such a fearsome reputation. She almost wished they'd taken a moment to stand back and make a plan before the conversation started, but winging it wasn't the worst thing in the world. She shifted her weight back slightly, positioning herself at the ready to protect Kira if the need arose.

Kyky, she could see, was making the emotional appeal, trying to speak to the centaur's heart. Manny stood with assertive confidence, placing himself as equal in this exchange. And Cornwallis was looking at the two of them with an air of... was that judgment? She mentally backstepped through the conversation, trying to recall exactly when Cornwallis's expression had taken on that look. Since it wasn't aimed at her, it couldn't be because of her remarks on centaurs. No, it was focused on Manny--and on Kyky. On Manny and Kyky, together?

If Kyky's play was to underscore their innate goodness and worthiness, then Jaya had every intention of backing that up. "My friend is far, far from home, and everything's been such a shock to her. We're all looking for a way to hurry home, before our families worry too much."

Who: Manny
With: KyKy, Jaya, Kira
Where: Brickstone Tavern, Merchant’s Quarter
When: March 14th, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

“Cornwallis, sir.... your offer of a foal is more than generous. If you would allow my companions the safety of the stables for the night, I am a suitable smith....” Manfred said as he chewed his lower lip.

“Perhaps I could be of service before the transformation?” He offered. “I would repay the debt once I see to my family’s safety in the Northwest”. Being a centaur, even on two legs, Manfred could see the the older stallion was judging him and the human females. Cornwallis seemed less than impressed.

“You have my word as a fellow Centauri”. They had a little time before nightfall, perhaps they could find something to barter a horse for the others. They needed at least one, Manfred would not be large enough to carry three humans. And a centaur just had too much pride to allow himself to be harnessed to a cart.

It also gave them time to find supplies among the ruins and abandon shops.

Jaya: "My friend is far, far from home, and everything's been such a shock to her. We're all looking for a way to hurry home, before our families worry too much."

Appeal for sympathy. An effective tactic, even if the girls weren't part of the centaur's in-crowd. Kyky sent her friend an approving smile, and cast an equally optimistic glance to Kira. They were handling it - so it was going to be fine!

Manny: “Cornwallis, sir.... your offer of a foal is more than generous. If you would allow my companions the safety of the stables for the night, I am a suitable smith....” “Perhaps I could be of service before the transformation?” “I would repay the debt once I see to my family’s safety in the Northwest”.

Manny was pretty good at this, too, Kyky deduced. He was playing up the insider connection, but also offering to pay his way so he didn't sound like a freeloader, and that was a powerful way to persuade. And it was lucky he had actual skills - probably, the political science student, the artist, and the adventurer weren't going to be quite as useful.

And she could see that it worked, especially with Manny's punctuated conclusion.

Manny: “You have my word as a fellow Centauri”.

Cornwallis mulled it over visibly, pacing a few steps back and forth as he watched the small group, but he seemed primarily persuaded by Manny's acceptance of the foal. The boy needed to be returned to his natural state, and he wanted to be, and it was Cornwallis' responsibility to help facilitate that. He might have been consorting with human women - three of them - but if he was true to his roots then Cornwallis would help.

"I don't have supplies to feed you all for long," he responded in preamble. But the centaur did nod. "Prepare yourself for the ritual tonight." He tipped his head, as if to invite them onto his property, and then went off at a gallop to address myriad other matters.

Kyky turned to Manny, grabbing his hand to squeeze in congratulations. "That's good news, right?" She turned and gave the other two girls a beaming grin and a thumb's up to signal they had won the day. Instinctively, she asked, "What's the ritual like?" She imagined candles, a ouiji board, and rhythmic chanting on one end, or a human sacrifice right out of an Indiana Jones movie. So, curious, she reached up to brush Manny's distinctively disheveled hair out of the way so she could actually see his reaction to the idea...

The thought dawned on her, suddenly, that if it worked, and based on what she'd seen, Manny would be too tall to kiss tomorrow. It shouldn't have been a consideration since they hadn't gone there, but there was something about the sudden realization that they couldn't if they decided to that… somehow bothered her. Unable to deal with that confusion, Kyky turned away.

"We're good! Or, mostly, I think?" Her words were vague and unhelpful, but they did manage to beckon the other girls forward so she could give them the low-down on Manny's success and move on past the fence inside.

Tags!