Topics

I Know Fake Happy #Bert #Sanya

Steph

Who: Sanya

With: Bert

Where: A private room in the Merchant's Quarter

When: March 14th, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

Typically a person leaving the city for points west would leave out through the Soldier's Quarter, but considering its current state, Sanya had not been the least bit surprised to catch Bert leaving the city through the Outer Wall in the Merchant's Quarter. She'd heard that he had gone above and beyond in assisting in the immediate aftermath of the disaster, and she knew  that the king himself had bestowed land and title to him due to the good deeds he had performed in the past.

If all she knew was true, he wasn't a fearful man or one of the nobles who were more concerned with wealth and status than responsibility. And, if he was responsible, there was a chance she could count on him.

So she sat across the table from Bert in a fairly plain cream dress, tawny brown cloak over her her shoulders, hood down. She didn't even wear any of the typical gold and jewels of her station. Her cat Moswen's collar was overtly fancier than anything she was wearing, really.

"You must be wondering why I stopped you before you left the city," Sanya said aloud to him. "First, I wanted to thank you personally for your service these last few days."

She paused there, though, to judge his reaction, to get a better feel for him. How did he take praise?

<tag!>

Ben

Who: Bert

With: Sanya

Where: A private room in the Merchant’s Quarter

When: March 14th, 872 RoK - Late Afternoon

The last few days had been some of the toughest in Bert’s memory. Starting with Kyky disappearing into the crowd after the zombie outbreak, it had become increasingly difficult to keep the peace. Much of the city had been overrun, and it was all he and the remaining soldiers could do to help push back the horde. Thankfully, Bert’s experience with zombies had been helpful in rescuing more than a few people trapped in their homes. A few days later, news came into the city from the West of a new queen. Spending a night thinking through his options, Bert thought it best to go speak with his new Queen and discuss where he fell under her leadership. After all, he already had the trust of the people in his shire, and it would go a long way to help the transition if they had a familiar face to turn to.

Bert had been on his way out of the city when he had been stopped by a woman in a brown cloak, who upon closer inspection he discovered was the Lady Sanya Nimr, a powerful woman from the South. He quickly dropped to a knee, before being lead to a private room nearby.

"You must be wondering why I stopped you before you left the city,"

"First, I wanted to thank you personally for your service these last few days."

<<<<

“As a matter of fact, I am. After all, I’m only a simple Sheriff. What would my Lady have from me?”

Bert bowed his head slightly at the compliment. “I was only doing my duty, m’Lady. I couldn’t stand to see the people of the city harmed anymore.”

Tags!

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 1:04 AM Steph <singer.of.the.lost@...> wrote:

[...]

Though Sanya had heard a lot about Bert's character, stories could paint all kinds of pictures. Stories could be told by anything. There was nothing like sitting right across from a person to get a sense of who they were. Moswen leapt up into her lap, and she scratched the cat's head gently. As far as she could tell, Bert spoke without hypocrisy, which was refreshing from any of the nobility. So often, they spoke in two ways at the same time, cloying for favors and hiding their thirst for power.

"I expect you're leaving the city to do that same duty, to see to your lands and your own people," Sanya said. "Though you haven't been a Sheriff long, I've only heard your name spoken with the highest regard. A fair adviser. But, it makes me wonder, do you intend to swear fealty to Lady Francesca and sever ties to the throne that granted you that land and title?"

The words were pointed, but Sanya's tone was soft, her posture relaxed and curious, not judgmental. She wanted to understand this man. After all, if he did care about the city and its people, maybe he'd also care enough to help her.

<Tag!>