Topics

I Remember the Fight #Bert #Kyky

Rachel Balla

Who: Kyky
With: Bert
Where: The Merchant's Square, Merchant's Quarter, King's City
When: Sunset, Tuesday, March 11th, 872 RoK

Kyky's feet were starting to hurt. Even after investing in a new pair of boots made for walking, there was something about standing in one place for like two hours that got to her. This shindig was supposed to start a long time ago! The crowd was complaining around her, and thinning out a bit as people went to fetch drinks or relieve themselves of the drinks they'd had before claiming a spot in the courtyard where the commoners gathered. When leaning on her staff didn't help anymore, Kyky decided to wander, hoping it would at least loosen up the stiff muscles in her legs.

"Think they called it off?" one commoner asked to his companion as Kyky passed by. "The royal baby was born - mayhap they reconsidering."

"They call it off, and forget to tell the nobles?" the other answered, making a gesture toward the seats occupied by the Consort, the prince(s), and the dukes and duchesses and their entourages. "If they waitin', I'm waitin'."

"...just the flooded streets mucking up the carriage wheels, nothing to worry about…"

Kyky's attention broke when she spotted the back of a familiar figure. She would have known that form anywhere, and that staff was unmistakable. A huge smile spread across her face and a peppy skip replaced her weary wandering steps as she cross the space, jumped up, and wrapped her arms around his neck from behind. He was a full foot taller than she, so it was a leap. "Bertie!"

Tags!

Wearing: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/32/b4/31/32b43186420a0e461dc45a0e03543d11.jpg

Ben

Who: “Bertie”

With: Kyky

Where: The Merchant’s Square, Merchant’s Quarter, King’s City

When: Sunset, Tuesday, March 11th, 872 RoK

Bert took his time scanning the crowd around him as he stood off to one side. Ever since becoming a sheriff, he had found himself drifting further and further from the other nobles of the kingdom, as they tended to come across as snobby, or just seemed to lack basic common sense and decency. Though that also didn’t mean that he felt super close to the everyday citizens, but they certainly seemed to be better company than his wealthy colleagues.

Everyone within the square was growing restless as the ceremony was continually delayed. Bert himself hadn’t heard of any reason as to why nothing had started yet, but more than a few people had already spotted his badge and had asked if he knew what was going on. He took a moment to shift his staff to his other hand so he could lean on it a little more effectively. He had been standing for a while, and it seemed he would be standing some more.

That is, he would have been, had he not almost been knocked over by a surprise hug from behind. Bert felt his look of surprise melt into a grin as he recognized the voice of the person clinging to his back. “Kyky! Fancy meeting you here. Where have you been? I hope the storms haven’t kept you inside too much.”

Tags!

--
Benjamin Warner

Rachel Balla

Bert: “Kyky! Fancy meeting you here. Where have you been? I hope the storms haven’t kept you inside too much.”

"I got my share of rain," Kyky said, as she released his neck and shoulders and her feet returned to the ground feeling lighter than before. She tipped her head back and forth as if she couldn't really decide whether the storm had been excessively inconvenient. It had been, for sure, because no one liked sloshing around in cold mud, but she had been uniquely able to go home for a warm shower, a Chipotle bowl, and a change to warmer, sturdier clothes, which most of her companions couldn't have done. So, she wasn't going to complain.

"But it's all good!" Kyky concluded, with characteristic cheer. "I made new friends. I went on an adventure." She left out the details that include breaking criminals out of the dungeon and that her new buds were kinda-sorta outlaws, but that was for Bert's own good. He was a good sheriff, and he didn't need a moral dilemma of that sort. "We killed a carniflower! Have you seen one of those things? It was taller than you!"

Tags!

Ben

Bert straightened up as Kyky let go of him. Thankfully, she was significantly smaller than him, so it wasn’t a difficult task to support her. He listened to her tale, despite its short length, sure that he would hear more details at a later date. “That does sounds like quite the adventure! I have seen carniflowers before, but it has been quite awhile since I actually encountered one! I hope you weren’t injured by it. Did everyone get away alright?”

He paused and considered Kyky for a moment. It had been some years since they had first met at the vampire’s manor, but she had always been a spot of sunshine in a world that had a tendency to be somewhat dreary at times. He was always thankful to have people such as her in his life.

“You’d be interested to know that I went on my own adventure recently. I joined a knight and his squire on a quest to find the missing princess. Unfortunately, we didn’t make it very far before one of my servants came to us with the news of the announcement of the new king. I did, however, have a chance to meet the new baby born to the king’s consort. He is barely three days old and already reminds me of his father. Even if he isn’t named king, he will make a great man, someday.”

Bert looked up from their conversation as a man in the crowd started yelling. Everyone was a little on edge from all the waiting, but this man seemed just plain irritable. Bert hefted his staff, mildly annoyed that he didn’t have his sword with him, and checked to make sure the guards were heading to take care of it. “What do you suppose his problem is?”

Tags!

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 1:54 PM Rachel Balla <rachelballa@...> wrote:

[...]

Bert: “That does sounds like quite the adventure! I have seen carniflowers before, but it has been quite awhile since I actually encountered one! I hope you weren’t injured by it. Did everyone get away alright?”

"No. no, I was totally fine. It tried to eat my friend. He's such a good guy, you know, I felt terrible," Kyky said, a hand resting over her heart as she spoke. Hawkins would be fine sooner or later, but the pain of what he endured was no envy of hers. It was moments like those that made her regret her potion - but that was for herself and herself only. It was torturous for a girl who so much just wanted to help others.

Bert: “You’d be interested to know that I went on my own adventure recently. I joined a knight and his squire on a quest to find the missing princess. Unfortunately, we didn’t make it very far before one of my servants came to us with the news of the announcement of the new king. I did, however, have a chance to meet the new baby born to the king’s consort. He is barely three days old and already reminds me of his father. Even if he isn’t named king, he will make a great man, someday.”

Bert: “What do you suppose his problem is?”

"Bored, impatient, I dunno. Everyone's on edge because this announcement is delayed, but seriously I don't think it's a big deal." Kyky shrugged, paying less mind to the shouting man than her companion because there were so many more interesting things. "A quest to find the missing princess!? I mean, they say if you don't find a missing person in the first 48 hours, they're most likely dead, but I hardly think that applies to princesses. If anyone is going to find her, it's going to be you, Bertie, and then I bet they'll give you a duchy…."

"Meat pies!"

Kyky's stomach grumbled painfully. She had been so invested in seeing this event that she hadn't eaten. Street food was usually good, and cheap. So she trotted after the salesgirl.

"Hey, can I get one?"

"Two pennies each," the girl answered.

Oh shit. Why were they so pricey? Probably just because they were hoping to catch nobles, who didn't care about money. "I've got one," Kyky said, offering the coin to the salesgirl. She pursed her lips, but accepted, and gave Kyky a meatpie before quickly looking at Bert. "Two pennies, sir."

Tags!