Topics

Jump Magic, Jump! #Bridgette #Theo

Vincent Gonzales

Who: Bridgette (aka Red) and Asteria

With: Theo

Where: Silver Tankard Wagon, Riverside Avenue, Artisan's Quarter, King's City

When: Thursday, February 28th, 872 RoK (Reign of Kings)

Red gave a short bow of her head in a ‘thank you’ to the barmaid who was all too eager to help pour drinks and loosen purse strings. She was kind enough and seemed to do her job well, Red noted as she turned her attention to Theo.

“You don't owe me, you owe the Woods,” Red said with a playful smile, nodding her head in greeting to Theo. “I…normally wouldn't go to something like this but I keep my promises.” Glancing around, Red tilted her head towards an empty table that was mostly shielded from the public by a wagon overfilled with kegs of fresh fruits and cheeses if the smells were any indication.

As she sat and placed her mug of ale on the table, a twinkling light shot out of her sleeve and landed with a splash in the mug, followed by an audible gulping sound. “Slow down or you'll get sick,” Red warned, glancing down at the pixie with an almost motherly glare. The pixie returned the glare with a universally rude gesture between gulps, seemingly content for now.

Who: Theo
With: Red, others
Where: Silver Tankard Wagon, Riverside Avenue, Artisan's Quarter, King's City
When: Thursday, February 28th, 872 RoK (Reign of Kings)

“You don't owe me, you owe the Woods,” Red said with a playful smile, nodding her head in greeting to Theo. “I…normally wouldn't go to something like this but I keep my promises.”

"Your promises?" Theo asked as he followed Red with a curious quirk of one eyebrow.

He decided to be grateful that the nobleman wasn't going to press the issue and simply fade away from him while he was feeling so courteous. Best way to avoid a fight, he figured. This was a chance to catch up with his mysterious forest spirit friend, who was magical enough to be able to locate an empty table at the kingdom's largest party. Pure miracles seemed to happen around her, so he might as well take advantage of that, too.

Then the little pixie came shooting out from her sleeve and dove into the beer with great enthusiasm.

"I bet that's your promise, isn't it?" he guessed. He was still learning the norms, but one thing he'd heard was that little pixies couldn't travel long distances very quickly. They liked to hitch rides. He'd heard it as advice when traveling the roads--always check your bags for stowaway pixies. They're tricksters if they set their mind to it.

"What's the pixie's name?" he added. If he'd learned anything about Red in their last encounter, it was that she cared a lot for the beings that dwelled in the Woods. He'd benefit from showing that same amount of courtesy, if he wanted to stay on Red's good side.

<Tag!>

Vincent Gonzales

Who: Red
With: Theo
Where: Silver Tankard Wagon, Riverside Avenue, Artisan's Quarter, King's City
When: Thursday, February 28th, 872 RoK (Reign of Kings)

"The Little Folk are very talented tricksters and, should you ever find yourself on the losing end of a prank war with them, you best give them the prize you wagered for," she noted, smiling down at the pixie as she drained the last of the lager in record time. "This is Asteria."

Asteria stood on the rim of the glass, looking distinctly regal and proud of herself despite the amber liquid dripping from her wings and mopping her hair to the side of her face. "I promised to take her to the festival and show her the sights." The pixie nodded emphatically, shaking the beer off her wings and splattering the pair. "You said you're from the city, right? Can you show us around? I haven't been here in..." she glanced around evasively, "a very long time."

Who: Zaire

With: Bridgette, Theo

Where: Silver Tankard Wagon, Riverside Avenue, Artisan's Quarter, King's City

When: Thursday, February 28th, 872 RoK (Reign of Kings)

The impending birth of the King's latest brat was hardly enough to claim the attention of a crew of pirates but the week-long festival that came with it, without a doubt, was. The risk was high, of course, but the potential reward had the vote ending in a resounding yea! from nearly every man on Zaire's crew.

The King's City would be full of pockets ripe for picking, drinks flowing freely, and wenches doing an impressive business. It also granted the potential for networking and the leads they'd picked up thus far, between drinks shared with other sailors, conversations overheard, and the sweet pillowtalk of the local whores, had made the trip worthwhile already. In just a few more days, the crew of the Siren's Song was likely to set sail with a multitude of options for their next hunt.

Until then though, they'd kept busy prowling the city during the day, enjoying the festivities and meeting up here and there to share a drink or a story, before converging on the taverns and inns come nightfall.

Dressed as a fighter, rather than a sailor, Zaire made his way down Riverside Avenue. He wove through the crowd with a purse full of coins and a leather satchel filled with the days purchases; it wasn't often he'd partake in a bit of honest shopping the Song's prizes lately had leaned more toward spices, sugar, rope, and linen. It was still enough to bring them in a significant payment but nothing suitable to bring home to the wife.

The sun was getting low in the sky when the pirate spotted the Silver Tankard's cart and the familiar figure working it and plans to head back to the inn where he'd rented a room were quickly waylaid in favor of making his way closer. He was suddenly parched . . .

Bridgette/Red: "You said you're from the city, right? Can you show us around? I haven't been here in..." she glanced around evasively, "a very long time."

"Truth is, there ain't much to see," Zaire commented, slowing to a stop beside the table. "You seen one broad street lined with jugglers, you've seen 'em all." It was his opinion, of course, being of the mind that no where in Eventyr compared to the palm trees and sun-lit beaches of the Western Coast.

While Zaire may have been interjecting himself into the conversation of the pair there at the table, his eyes were on the busty barmaid near the cart as he continued, "There are some sights better than others, though."

Tags!

Wearing: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/03/51/99/035199999ebe5edf8c051cfdc0ff747b.jpg

Steph

Who: Theo
With: Red, others
Where: Silver Tankard Wagon, Riverside Avenue, Artisan's Quarter, King's City
When: Thursday, February 28th, 872 RoK (Reign of Kings)

"You said you're from the city, right? Can you show us around? I haven't been here in..." she glanced around evasively, "a very long time."

Theo politely tipped his head to the little pixie with the big name. Asteria. She did have a little bit of a glitter around her like the stars, he supposed.

As for Red's request. Well…Oops. Theo had fortunately just lifted his glass to drink, so he had something to cover his expression and give himself a moment. He hadn't lied when he was from the city. It just wasn't this particular city. And he'd only wandered around a little bit since his arrival. He could try to fake it if Red knew nothing about the city, but he doubted he could maintain the act for long. She seemed too clever for that.

Doubly fortunate, a new arrival interjected.

"Truth is, there ain't much to see," Zaire commented, slowing to a stop beside the table. "You seen one broad street lined with jugglers, you've seen 'em all."
"There are some sights better than others, though."

"Beg to differ," Theo said, though he could have taken a different tactic. "When you learn how to look at a city, you see its history and its soul in the buildings and roadways. Even boroughs in the same city are vastly different."

He followed Zaire's gaze over to Brandy and gently tipped his glass in her direction, a subtle acknowledgement, an agreement with Zaire's words.

"This one, if I'm being honest, I'm still learning. I'm from the other city," he said--hoping that either Red or the newcomer would supply him with an appropriate city to be from. Cue practical NPC dialogue. "I'm Theo," he added. "Well met."

Was there something about the newcomer that made Theo think about pirates? Possibly. But he wasn't the most expert in historical fashion, let alone in Eventyrian styles.

<Tag!>

Vincent Gonzales

Who: Red and Asteria
With: Theo, Zaire
Where: Silver Tankard Wagon, Riverside Avenue, Artisan's Quarter, King's City

Zaire: "Truth is, there ain't much to see," <...> "You seen one broad street lined with jugglers, you've seen 'em all." <...> "There are some sights better than others, though."

At the sound of a stranger's voice so close to the table, the pixie shot up Red's sleeve with such sleeve it threatened to knock the wind out of her voice, but she steadied herself just enough to follow his gaze. Theo, ever the charming young man, waxed philosophical about the merits of a city's history and culture in a way that reminded her of one of her tutors when she was younger and she smiled in spite of herself. These two were interesting company, she determined, and she would have them show her the city.

"You smell like the sea," she said to the newcomer with a nod of greeting. "I like the sea. And I haven't seen any..." she paused to recall the words, "broad streets lined with jugglers. Can you show us?"

Who: Zaire

With: Bridgette, Theo

Where: Silver Tankard Wagon, Riverside Avenue, Artisan's Quarter, King's City

When: Thursday, February 28th, 872 RoK (Reign of Kings)

Theo: "Beg to differ," ... "When you learn how to look at a city, you see its history and its soul in the buildings and roadways. Even boroughs in the same city are vastly different."

Zaire's eyes drifted back toward the blond kid, a smirk playing at the corners of his lips. How poetic.

It did make him think though; when was the last time he'd taken a moment to appreciate the beauty around him? Not the sweeping pinks and purples of a sunrise or the way the sunlight sparkled on the sea, or even the softness of his wife's milk-heavy breasts, but the beauty in the everyday? The filigree on a pocket watch or the lace on a noblewoman's bodice; the graceful movements of a street performer . . .

Maybe Zaire was simply too jaded now. When he looked at the King's City, he didn't see those things, but rather the potential for a pickpocket, the privacy of an alley if a beating were in order, the ease of which to lose the guards amongst the crowds.

Theo: "This one, if I'm being honest, I'm still learning. I'm from the other city," ... "I'm Theo," he added. "Well met."

Zaire nodded at the greeting, finally turning his attention fully to his conversation partners, but didn't offer his name in return. They were both young and their fascination with the city reminded him of the first time Gunther, his cabin boy, had seen the tropical coasts of the West. The boy, born in the North, had been eager to see all there was to see, to dig his bare toes into the sand and catch crabs where the waves lapped the beach. And his crew had indulged the boy, taking him seining in the shallows, and then teaching him how to cook up the gathered bounty over red hot stones and wet seaweed, steaming the clams until they opened and grilling up potatoes and pork sausage to go with.

There was an innocence in that fascination and maybe that was part of the beauty Zaire was missing.

Red: "You smell like the sea," she said to the newcomer with a nod of greeting. "I like the sea. And I haven't seen any..." she paused to recall the words, "broad streets lined with jugglers. Can you show us?"

"I work down at the ferries," Zaire explained, the lie coming easily. "Transportin' goods from the sea t'the city." He had little interest in playing tour guide for a couple of out-of-towners but he also wasn't looking to draw undue attention to himself either. Walking them to the next street over, where a troupe was performing an entire play on stilts, would be easy enough until he could make his way back to his Brandy-love for a drink and a tussle.

"Kago Govender," he added, using one of the many aliases he employed outside of the 'safety' of the West. His eyes went to the red haired girl with the pixie, who hadn't offered a name. "And what should I call ye, lass?"

Who: Theo
With: Red, others
Where: Silver Tankard Wagon, Riverside Avenue, Artisan's Quarter, King's City
When: Thursday, February 28th, 872 RoK (Reign of Kings)

"You smell like the sea," she said to the newcomer with a nod of greeting. "I like the sea. And I haven't seen any..." she paused to recall the words, "broad streets lined with jugglers. Can you show us?"
"Kago Govender,"… "And what should I call ye, lass?"

Well, Red wasn't calling Theo out on his deception about being from the City or any particular city, and he wasn't going to look that gift horse in the mouth. He'd enjoyed her advice thus far. She was like a useful version of Navi in the forest, and he didn't want to offend her or her little pixie friend and drive them away. He took another swig of his drink as she turned her attention to the newcomer.

This Kago fellow looked different. There was no denying that particular fact. Theo was used to people being different, though. He lived in New York City and worked in the entertainment industry. He had developed the skill of looking someone over without gawking at them over uncommon characteristics. Theo found it strange to think that sailors could really be that common in a landlocked city, but then  again…

With the lake and the rivers, there could easily be a whole network of waterways he still needed to learn about. If they were easier to use and more reliable than fairy circles, especially.

He stayed silent for the moment, though, letting Red take Kago's question however she wanted to.

<Tag!>

Vincent Gonzales

Who: Red
With: Zaire, Theo
Where: Silver Tankard Wagon, Riverside Avenue, Artisan's Quarter, King's City
When: Thursday, February 28th, 872 RoK

The former Princess nodded along to the lie that seemed to come so easy to the strange sea-man, not the type to deny someone their secrets. It would take some explaining, after all, to tell why she knew the waterways - or lack thereof, in the King's City. Her former home. Even so, she thought, things could have drastically changed since last she was in the city some years back. So she simply nodded and then focused on the question directed back to her after he introduced himself.

"Well met, Kago," she responded with a short curtsy that was more whimsical than regal. "My friends call me Red." She paused for a moment and then nodded to herself, "You can call me Red, too, I guess."

As the pixie tugged on her hair out of boredom for what felt like the dozenth time since she'd finished her ale, Red let out an exasperated sigh and got to her feet. "Would you care to show me to these jugglers and meat vendors I keep hearing about, then?"

Theo: *knows nothing, is Jon Snow*

Red: "Well met, Kago," ... "My friends call me Red." She paused for a moment and then nodded to herself, "You can call me Red, too, I guess."

Zaire nodded, "Red, it is."

Tipping his head toward the next intersection, he was about to suggest they follow him when the sudden crack of lightning had him turning his attention to the sky instead. Now that was strange, he noticed, the fine hairs on the back of his neck standing to attention at the sudden electricity in the air. As a sailor, Zaire had plenty of experience with storms and he knew that they didn't spring up out of nowhere quite like this one had.

Around them, people began glancing upward as well, curious faces quickly turning to alarm as the rain began to fall in heavy drops. Zaire wasn't the only one who recognized the unnaturalness of such a storm and, quickly, those very same people began scrambling for cover.

In the direction of the castle, the guards had stopped allowing people through the gates and were instead herding people off the bridge. Not everyone was happy with being turned away and scuffles sprang up here and there only to be quickly settled by the guards' promises of answering violence with violence.

It was all suspicious enough that when Zaire turned back to Red and Theo, he told them, "Find shelter. This ain't no ordinary storm." Then he was starting across the street at a brisk pace, easily weaving through the bodies running this way and that, with his sights set on the one person he was sure hadn't ever seen a storm conjured from nothing - Brandy.

Thread jumping!

Steph

Who: Theo
With: Red
Where: Silver Tankard Wagon, Riverside Avenue, Artisan's Quarter, King's City
When: Thursday, February 28th, 872 RoK

A pleasant exchange of names, comfortable conversation, anticipation for seeing some interesting new things in this fantasy city that was so spectacularly real. Theo had high hopes for how well his day would go from here forward--an interesting new NPC in a game always provided new stories.

They usually didn't just bail out before anything really happened. But, maybe that was his fault. He hadn't introduced himself to Kago. He'd let the scenario unfold between Red and Kago, and now maybe he'd missed his chance at a new connection.

Definitely not his chance at a dramatic story, though. The way the weather turned and the opened up, pouring rain down on the city below? This was magic. It wasn't natural, anyway. He got to his feet and looked around, trying to remember what all he'd seen between the Fairy Circle where he crossed into Eventyr and this temporary tent.

"I think I remember a tavern back that way," he said to Red. "He's right. We should probably take shelter."
He held out his hand to take hers and start fleeing the weather.