Topics

Like an Open Highway #Bert #Theo #Tristan

Steph

Who: Theo
With: Bert, Tristan
Where: Foothills of the Northern Mountains
When: Friday, March 7th, 872 RoK -- Evening

Theo was not going to be the first to admit that this rain was positively terrible. Technically speaking, he'd never spent a full day out in the rain in his life. Rain was a nuisance to be avoided, or a novelty to enjoy for exactly as long as a spoiled rich boy wanted to before returning inside and drying off. But, this?

He had a fine waterproofed cloak. Rain was still getting through somehow. His leather boots, which should have been watertight, were also squelching after a full day's exposure to the rain. Riding a horse into the foothills meant, well, a day of riding. On a wet saddle. Which was uncomfortable in all kinds of unexpected ways. He, for one, was grateful to be setting up camp for the day, even if the continuous rain meant there wouldn't be any real relief or dryness.

They'd managed to find a bit of a rocky outcrop on a hill, though--no cave entry, but still an overhang where the water came running down either side and left the center dry. Enough room for the three of them to lay out bedrolls and set up a fire, though their horses had to be tied up nearby.

"Has it ever rained like this before?" Theo asked, grateful to find that somehow his bedroll was still dry where he'd packed it. That would be some comfort, at least. He looked between Tristan and Bert, sure that one of them would know.

<Tag!>

Vincent Gonzales

Tristan stifled a grunt of discomfort as he bent to affix a stake into the ground that he had tied to his horse's reins. While he was confident that Ella wouldn't go running on him on a normal given day, he wasn't so sure what this storm would do to her nerves. He'd see she got fresh water and some oats after he'd set up camp for the night, he told himself. "Like this? Not that I can recall," Tristan responded, pulling off his bedroll and tossing it down to flatten out and hopefully dry a little in the outcrop they'd found.

"We'll need to get some firewood, if we can. The drier the better," he said, eyes on the rain that seemed to never want to end. "Some food wouldn't hurt either, if we can find any game out in the storm..."

The knight in soaking wet armor turned towards the noble and nodded. "What do you think? I imagine you're pretty familiar with these lands. Best places to hunt for rabbit? Deer?"

tags!

Ben

Bert stretched out his back and legs, having finally gotten out of the saddle after their day of riding. His companions seemed to be just as stiff, and likely just as wet, as he was after their day in the rain. As it was, it had been raining non-stop for nearly a week, which did not do much for the group’s morale, but still, they had found a nice, dry(ish) place to rest.

Bert nodded in agreement with Tristan. “Firewood would be a good start. I’ll see what I can find.” Wandering out into the rain, he looked closest to trees and under bushes, managing to find some small pieces that would make good kindling, as well as a couple larger branches that would dry as the smaller sticks burned. “As for the rain, I haven’t seen it rain like this ever in my life. Sure it has stormed before, but never for this long.”

Taking a moment to set up a small campfire, Bert retrieved his flint and steel and set to work lighting the fire, hoping for some comfort. It didn’t take long for a spark to catch on the drier pieces and slowly spread. He took a moment to ponder the knight’s questions. “Well, it’s been a few years since I traveled this way, but from what I remember, there’s usually some small game out and about. It wouldn’t take much to set a snare or two and catch some. I don’t think you’ll find too many deer around here, but it wouldn’t hurt to keep an eye out.”

“Remind me, if you will. What stories have the two of you heard about our missing princess?”

Tags!

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 4:03 PM Vincent Gonzales <alchemicalnonsense2578@...> wrote:
[...]

Benjamin Warner

Steph

As both Tristan and Bert exuded their medieval know-how in terms of finding food and starting fire, Theo looked around himself and felt he ought to be contributing something, as well. He just... wasn't entirely sure what. All right, so he didn't really go camping and he had no wilderness survival skills to speak of outside of what one could glean from resource gathering in RPGs. That didn't make him entirely useless. Did it?

"I'll, um, help with the snares, if you want, Tristan," he decided. Okay, so he hadn't done it before. It was a learning opportunity, right?

He found it a little unsettling that this weather was really so unusual. Not in Bert's life had it stormed like this? That was some epic fantasy plot level storming, then. All the better for motivating a group of heroes in finding a missing princess!

"Well, from what I heard, she liked to study things like sword fighting, and, since she was destined to be the next ruler, her father didn't stop her," Theo said. "So it's hard to think she would have gotten kidnapped by a dragon and stayed captive waiting for someone to come save her. But dragons can be pretty big and pretty clever, right? Sure, people went out searching for her and went after dragons as part of their searches. No one found anything--obviously--but maybe they weren't going about it quite the right way. Did you look for her before, Lord Weston?"

<tag>

Vincent Gonzales

Tristan gave Theo an easy smile as the young man offered to help with snares and nodded. "We'll scout out a few spots and set some traps. Then we can check back in on them, come sunset." While his childhood wasn't exactly filled with hunting trips, a few guys in basic he had kept in contact with before his...accident, had taken him hunting before. He'd learned enough to at least get them dinner for the night, he hoped.

When conversation turned to the princess and stories they'd heard, Tristan shook his head and frowned. "I've heard bits and pieces. Dragons took her from the castle yard. A witch enchanted her and spirited her away. Fairies cast an enchantment of her and she is queen of the pixies now. The usual nonsense. But other than the rumored sighting over the years, most just assume she's long gone or...passed," he added to the conversation, which wasn't much help. At Theo's question, though, he did look at Bert. Lord Weston, rather. The Sheriff. Surely, he'd been on more than a few search parties for the princess before now...

tags!