Topics

These Mascara Tears #Marcus #sarnai #Killick


Manda
 

Who: Altansarnai
With: Erden, Killick, Marcus
Where: North and Norther

When: March 11th, 872 RoK - late afternoon

Wearing: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/25/ff/56/25ff56abee00f3f16ed646d4f618f892.jpg with a heavy cloak


It felt good to be out of those ridiculous gowns, to feel her hair hanging freely down her back, to be on horseback once again, and the familiar sway beneath her brought with it a sense of rightness that Sarnai hadn't felt in almost a year. It didn't even matter that the horse under her was about five years past his prime and three hands taller than she was used to, or that it was huge trees surrounding her rather than waist-high prairie grass; she was free and her son was safe.

All Sarnai needed to do was keep it that way. She could only assume that those left of the royal family would want to seek them out. Maybe not yet, maybe not for years, but eventually her son's claim to the throne would have to be dealt with and Sarnai would be ready whenever the time came.

Brushing long hair back over one shoulder, Sarnai gave a soft squeeze of her knees to prompt the chestnut gelding into a trot, drawing up alongside Killick as the deer trail widened just enough for them to ride side by side. "I never thanked you," she admitted, watching his now familiar profile. "Not properly." The slightest twitch of the reins had the gelding slowing to a walk again. "You risked much to help me." She lowered her gaze to the baby tucked into the makeshift sling, his sleepy suckles slow and content. "Us. It's appreciated and I hope you were well compensated . . ."

tags


Silvy <afranklin09c@...>
 

Who: Killick
With: Erden, Altansarnai, Marcus
Where: North and Norther
When: March 11th, 872 RoK - late afternoon


Killick, by severe contrast, had never quite got the hang of horses. The balance was all different from the listing of a ship, and he was fairly certain that this beast was out to do him in. Still, they hadn't exactly their pick of the stables, and he'd rather the new mother get the gentler of the pair, whose only apparent vice was being quite stubborn about mealtimes. And so far, he'd been able to rein in the more headstrong mare on the occasions she felt a particular way about something. Most especially, his difficulties sitting a horse...


But still, he'd taken to leading - he had a good head for parsing the map and even better when the stars shone overhead. It let him think, too, quiet and to himself the way he liked best, and that was precisely what he was at when his peripheral vision caught movement. Just enough to startle his breath out of pattern, but he only sat straighter and pulled 'Muriel' a little more to the side to make way.


"Oh-" Well. That much was true, the thanking, but everything had happened all wrong. "We were - distracted," He pointed out helpfully. "It wasn't meant to go that way..." Nor were they really meant to head North, where if the tales were true there was near as much potential for danger as hanging back in the city. "But I didn't do it for thanks, or money-- compensation."


Not that he'd turn away the offer if and when it came, but... "You needed help - I wanted to help you. And if I hadn't been there to see what was coming... who knows where I might be now?" Dead, maybe. Or back on the Song, even...


~tags~

 


Manda
 

Killick: "Oh-" Well. That much was true, the thanking, but everything had happened all wrong. "We were - distracted," He pointed out helpfully. "It wasn't meant to go that way..." … "But I didn't do it for thanks, or money-- compensation." 


Sarnai's lips pressed together, one side drawing downward in a half-frown as she considered that. She'd just assumed that Sanya had arranged some sort of payment and, well, maybe she had, to be given upon completion of the job, but then circumstances had changed all those carefully made plans . . .


Killick: "You needed help - I wanted to help you. And if I hadn't been there to see what was coming... who knows where I might be now?"


Dead, he meant, or turned and feasting on human flesh. Or sacrificed so some noble could survive instead . . . 


"But . . ." Sarnai paused, chewing her lip as she considered those who had helped her thus far. Sanya, of course, and now Killick, and both seemed to be doing it out of the goodness of their hearts but why? In her limited experience, people seemed far more likely to turn on her - like Malia, who had seemed to kind at first, or outright throw her to the proverbial wolves, like James Castile. Yet, Sanya risked everything to arrange her escape and Killick may have taken the risk because it had seemed a simple task - smuggle her and Erden out of the city - but he was still traveling with her. He could have left them on the banks of the river and gone about his life without fear of further retribution . . .


"...why?" she finished. "Do you not have family? A place to go?" She knew very little about her traveling companion, after all. He was likely from the West, judging by the occasional accent that slipped through in his speech and that lined up neatly with the fact that he seemed to be better on a boat than a horse, and he knew a surprising amount about babies - far more than she did . . . but none of that told her much of anything. "I know so little about you . . ."


tags

 


Silvy <afranklin09c@...>
 

Who: Killick
With: Erden, Altansarnai, Marcus

Where: North and Norther
When: March 11th, 872 RoK - late afternoon


It occurred to him, slowly, as Sarnai went on, that it might be uncomfortable, traveling with someone you knew so little about. Trusting them. Putting your life in their hands, the way she had, even though she seemed just as capable of handling herself - the help hadn't hurt, he knew, and chances were without the other, neither of them would have made it out of that city. Dead, turned, or sacrificed. What had happened back there...


"They're safe-" It was an answer without an answer, Killick realized, and so traced his tongue over his lower lip as he gave a tug on the reins to pull Muriel away from the distraction of a passing shrub. "Far enough away from here not to worry." At least... everyone but Pa. He was likely to head West, both because passage by ship would naturally take him that way and because it was the quickest route home, Killick figured. As much as they fought, as much as he seethed and spat about the danger Zaire put the crew in, he knew his father would get them to safety as best he could.


"My place is back in the city, anyway." Ma would worry, but Pa could tell her he was safe, last he saw. When it was safe, maybe he'd even get a message out- "But you saw... When all this is figured out, I'll go back to the college." If. "Until then..." 


The pause went on longer than Killick meant it to, but he shrugged, and offered a kind of lopsided smile. "You aren't so bad." 


~tags~

 


Manda
 

Killick: "They're safe-" It was an answer without an answer, Killick realized, and so traced his tongue over his lower lip as he gave a tug on the reins to pull Muriel away from the distraction of a passing shrub. "Far enough away from here not to worry." … "My place is back in the city, anyway." … "But you saw... When all this is figured out, I'll go back to the college." 


Sarnai watched Killick's profile, her eyes drawn to his lips as his tongue slipped out and then disappeared again, and found a hint of selfish relief settling into her chest. His family was safe, which meant that he wouldn't likely be abandoning her so he could return to them and, as he pointed out, going back to the King's City right now was absurd. Who knew how long until it would be habitable again . . .


Killick: "Until then..." … "You aren't so bad." 


Sarnai had been about to open her mouth, to prompt him to continue, but then he spoke and she found her lips pulling into a smile and her face warming in a blush that crept along cheekbones already pink from the cold. Suddenly shy, she let her eyes drift away from him, first to the trail ahead, then to her son as he finally drifted into a deep enough sleep to relax his jaw and allow her to straighten her top. 


"You have a wife," she said, suddenly, jumping to the first conclusion that made sense from what she knew of Killick thus far. "And children. That is how you know so much about new babies?" Or maybe it was college? Her midwife had been a professor at the Queen's College, a kind but no-nonsense woman who Sarnai had liked immensely and the consort couldn't help but wonder, briefly, if she'd made it through the zombie outbreak unharmed. "Or," she tipped her head in curiosity, "do they have baby classes at the college?"


tags

 


Vincent Gonzales
 

Who: Marcus and some Marauders being supa sneaky

With: Sarnai, Killick

Where: The Northern Mountains

When: March 11th, 872 RoK - late afternoon


The trek into the Northern Mountains had been Marcus’ idea. Every fiber of his being told him that the Eastern Forest had grown too treacherous for his Marauders and so they headed North and West, out of the great forest and on to greener pastures. Well...whiter ones, at least. 


While the trees hadn’t quite given way to the greater mountaintops that lay further North yet, the bitter cold of winter was holding strong up here, and his people grew irritable. He’d allowed open hunting at night, but stuck to a forced march during the day, with a handful of advanced scouts - wolves, of course. 


The first few nights, they’d reported nothing, as he’d suspected. What kind of idiot would travel into the mountains on horseback and foot? But as they’d set out for travel, there were reports of a couple travelling just south of their position, moving in their direction. A woman and child with a male escort. Marcus had wanted to keep pace and just avoid them, but the hungry look in his wolves’ eyes told him they were itching for a fight. So he’d found a compromise. Eventually. 


His mottled grey horse trudged forward in plain sight, moving South, directly in the path of the travellers, catching the tail end of a question as he came closer. “Ho, travellers!” he called out, raising one hand above his head to call their attention, if he didn’t have it already. “Dangerous parts, these woods are. What sort of business do you have out here?”


tags!


Manda
 

In the quiet between her question and what she assumed would be Killick's answer, the perk of her horse's ears caught Sarnai's attention only seconds before she heard the sound of footsteps. No, she realized, not footsteps but hoofbeats. Too heavy for a deer or elk, could be a moose, maybe, but what it really sounded like was--


A shod horse. Carrying a rider. 


Marcus: “Ho, travellers!” ... “Dangerous parts, these woods are. What sort of business do you have out here?”


Beneath her, the gelding drew to a stop at the soft tug on his reins, her sudden wariness causing the animal to toss his head and snort a puff of steam into the cold air. Sarnai's hand went to the hilt of her short sword, resting there but not gripping; she wasn't helpless, the gesture clearly stated, and she'd defend herself, her son, and her companion if this stranger meant them harm. She wished she had a bow instead, though. And her own horse. "Just passing through," she answered vaguely, eyes cutting to Killick before settling back on the man in front of them. 


tags

 


Silvy <afranklin09c@...>
 

>>>Sarnai: "You have a wife," ... "And children. That is how you know so much about new babies?" ... "Or," she tipped her head in curiosity, "do they have baby classes at the college?"


Her question, once she got around to it, was almost startling - a wife? Kids? With what time? And while he didn't doubt there were 'baby classes' at the college, it hadn't occurred to him to need any. Which, it was occurring to him now, might have been a bit odd. At least enough for someone to take notice, which lead Killick to wonder how exactly babies survived in a place where people knew so little of them.


>>>Marcus: “Dangerous parts, these woods are. What sort of business do you have out here?”


So it was that moments after his companion had been stricken briefly wordless, so was he - only for a shout to cut through the answer he'd nearly managed to get his mouth around. Instinctively, his hand slid over the pommel of the knife at his side. He hadn't seen nor heard the approach and so it set on him uneasily


>>>Sarnai: "Just passing through,"


"As the girl says," Killick agreed with a smile that said he didn't want any trouble. "We'll be out of it quick as we can." Which, hopefully, was enough not to incur any of the myriad fees folk who announced themselves with those words liked to exact - crossing tolls, and the like. 


~tags~