Topics

We Wanted Everything, Wanted Everything #Marcus #sarnai #Killick #Liam

Steph

Who: Liam
With: Sarnai, Killick, Marcus (Note -- If you want to start a separate thread within the Marauders camp, feel free! We will also be mixing up with Malia and James once the fighting breaks out)
Where: Marauders Camp, Northern Duchy
When: March 28th, 872 RoK -- Morning

Tonight was the full moon. That would be the turning point for the Marauders in the fight to come--as long as the attack came late enough. As long as the fight lasted that long. It would be Liam's first full moon with the Marauders. His first full moon when he didn't use a shrinking potion to contain himself in a mouse cage.

Potentially the first full moon when he killed.

He was trying not to think too much about this as he ate a hasty breakfast near a now-smothered cooking fire and stared over the schematics he'd been working on since joining the Marauders. Smaller, more mobile cannons. Handheld weapons that would utilize the blasting powder to propel small projectiles that would puncture as deeply as arrows and be harder to fish out. He was only at the very start of his research--and thinking about his research kept him away from thinking too hard about teeth and claws and the taste of blood.

He glanced up and around himself to see if Killick or Sarnai were around, or Marcus perhaps. Surely the leader of the Marauders would be busy with the news that the scouts had brought--soldiers incoming, searching for their camp, soon to attack. But Marcus had shown interest in Liam's research.

When he finished eating, then he'd close his books and get started helping ready the camp for the attack. He had an axe at his feet, and his satchel of research books near him, as well. Whether they planned to stand and fight or scatter into the rocks and trees and harry the soldiers, he'd be ready to follow Marcus.

Manda

Who: Sarnai

With: Liam, Killick, Marcus

Where: Marauders Camp, Northern Duchy

When: March 28th, 872 RoK -- Morning

Wearing: https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/ac/ec/35acececfeddc1b8ccf529b5bceabd2a.jpg

The prospect of battle had Sarnai's blood singing. Sure, she wouldn't be on the front lines, partially because she didn't have her own battle ready mount, but also because of Erden. He'd stay with her, wrapped securely against her front, and she'd keep her distance from the fighting and pick off their enemies with bow and arrow. Killing Northern soldiers would be a new experience but certainly one that didn't bother her; they were Malia's men, after all. No, she'd delight in their deaths if only because it would deal a blow to the Duchess of the North.

With that lovely thought in mind, Sarnai made her way through the camp, her quiver on her back and her bow slung over one shoulder. She absently patted her son's swaddled rump as she walked, giving him a smile when his little hand closed around the end of her braid and he made a soft coo of wonder as he stared up at her. Every day he seemed to change, growing ever more interested in the world around him and a bit less interested in simply sleeping and eating. It was surprisingly exciting for the young mother, who had had such little desire to hold the role to begin with. She was embracing it now though, promising her son - both silently and aloud when they were alone - that she would teach him all he needed to know. He would ride and hunt and fight and slay anyone who would come for him, because come for him they would. Someday. Eventually. Sarnai couldn't hide him away forever.

"Good morning, Liam," Sarnai greeted as she came upon the huge werewolf. She settled down across from him at the fire pit and helped herself to a leftover boiled egg, glancing curiously at the pages in his lap as she peeled the shell away. She didn't know Liam very well yet, but Killick knew and trusted him and Sarnai knew and trusted Killick. Well, sort of knew him. She did trust him though, which made it easy for her to extend that trust to Liam, as well. Plus, he had the loveliest blue eyes that she very much enjoyed looking at.

Glancing around to see if her traveling companion was nearby, Sarnai leaned a little closer, "You were in school with Killick, yes? Did you know him well?"

Tags!

Silvy

Who: Killick.
With: Liam, Sarnai, Marcus.

Where: Marauders Camp, Northern Duchy
When: March 28th, 872 RoK - Morning

Running into Marcus and his men had been disconcerting, and the days that followed weren't exactly less so. Sure, Liam was here - a surprise as much as it was a comfort - and every day that passed without their heads on pikes or worse was something of a reassurance... But he also felt, very much, as though they were merely waiting for the other boot to drop.

So he hadn't strayed very far from Sarnai and the baby, when he could avoid it, even if he really wanted to catch up with his friend. How had Liam fallen in with Marauders? What had driven him away from the school? Did he know what happened?

And, perhaps just as much, he wanted to talk to their host... To get a sense of the man and what they had agreed to fight for. Even if he'd told Sarnai that they should use the coming chaos as cover for their escape. She hadn't entirely agreed - what if they had a better chance with greater numbers? What if it was only a matter of time before either was thrown under the wagon wheel?

But with Sarnai in Liam's company, he could breathe a little easier...and throw out the idea of trying to find out what all he had missed. He doubted his old friend would feel so comfortable speaking of such around his new traveling companion, and so turned his efforts instead toward looking for the man who, currently, had more to say about their fates than he was entirely comfortable with. Where was Marcus, anyway...?

~tags~

Vincent Gonzales

Who: Marcus
With: Liam, Sarnai, Killick

Where: Marauders Camp, Northern Duchy
When: March 28th, 872 RoK - Morning

The Marauders camp was a flurry of activity, as word spread down the line and back of the impending threat. For Marcus' part, he filled the role he had often delegated to Alessandra, what with her gift for leading the troops and organizing the chaotic mess that was a brigade of bandits and criminals. But with the death of his second and no clear successor for the role, Marcus moved through the camp, barking orders and receiving "yes sir's" in response at each stop.

Have the wolves keep their distance and use the trees for cover, when and where they could.

Archers form a perimeter behind their melee fighters.

See that every combatant and was fed and dressed, for who knew the next time they'd get a decent meal. And on and on the list had went.

It wouldn't have been so mad, Marcus lamented, if they'd still have the element of surprise, but somehow  one of the messengers got out alive and would undoubtedly be reporting back to the Bitch of the North and the Green Duke that they knew the fight was coming.

Marcus' eyes darted around the camp as he continued on down the line, still barking orders here and there until he spotted the young man he'd been looking for. "Lostchild," he called out, noting only after the fact that Liam sat with both Sarnai and Killick at his side. Good, one less person for him to search out for.

"We're setting traps along the Northeast and West sides of the tree line to funnel in these bastards as much as we can. If you have any new science experiments that are ready, now is the time," Marcus said, as much an order as anything else that had come out of his mouth today.

The Marauder's eyes moved to Sarnai, first to the child in her arms, then the bow and quiver. "I won't force a new mother to fight. The noncombatants will be further up river, with a retinue of my men with word to retreat if things get bad. But we can use every fighter we've got," Marcus uttered. "No harm will come to your child, so long as I'm breathing, if you fight with us," he added after a beat, knowing full well that would be the first protest Sarnai may have.

Who: Liam
With: Sarnai, Killick, Marcus
Where: Marauders Camp, Northern Duchy
When: March 28th, 872 RoK -- Morning

"You were in school with Killick, yes? Did you know him well?"

Liam had never really bothered with being coy about his research notes at college. If anyone else could read and decipher his thoughts and sketches, maybe they'd be up to converse about them, so when Sarnai leaned in a bit to glance at those notes, he didn't shift the angle or close his notebook up. He offered as warm a smile as he could muster with threat of attack looming so close.

"We had different emphases in classes--he studied healing, I studied the more, ah, explosive side of alchemy," Liam answered. "But we got along well. He's dependable. A good friend in a place that has more than it's fair share of snakes."

He smiled over toward Killick--who looked a bit distracted, not near but also not particularly far away. Before Liam could ask Killick what was on his mind, though, Marcus approached.

"We're setting traps along the Northeast and West sides of the tree line to funnel in these bastards as much as we can. If you have any new science experiments that are ready, now is the time," ... "I won't force a new mother to fight. The noncombatants will be further up river, with a retinue of my men with word to retreat if things get bad. But we can use every fighter we've got," ... "No harm will come to your child, so long as I'm breathing, if you fight with us."

Liam glanced down at the open research in his lap, sketches and diagrams of his handheld blasting powder weapons, then turned a few pages past it. There wasn't enough time to forge those complex things, after all. They were plans for another day.

"I've got some ideas for explosives triggered by tripwires, though that might be a bit dangerous for our own fighters if the exact volume of the blasting powder isn't measured precisely," Liam said. Calm, academic, analytical words. Inside, something beneath his skin was itching for anything but calm. "I might be able to balance a few exploding arrows, but their range will be limited, and we'd need solid archers to light and fire them. Killick's got a clever mind. He might be able to help me?"

He glanced over Killick and lifted an eyebrow, trying to make it clear that his question was invitation to work together, though not an obligation. Killick and Sarnai weren't out here because they believed in Marcus, after all. Liam would understand if neither of them had the same drive to fight.

<Tag!>

OOC: Sorry for the posting delays - end of quarter has been busy and oh so bumpy for me, but I'm in that last stretch and almost home free!

Manda

Liam: "We had different emphases in classes--he studied healing, I studied the more, ah, explosive side of alchemy," Liam answered. "But we got along well. He's dependable. A good friend in a place that has more than it's fair share of snakes."

Sarnai gave a vaguely annoyed twist of her lips as she tossed the last of the shell away and bit into the egg. She already knew all of that and had been hoping for something . . . more. She was about to ask another, more pointed, question when the opportunity passed with the arrival of Killick. He seemed to be looking for someone, made all the more apparent when his eyes flickered over she and Liam before moving on, but he stopped when Marcus also came into view. Had he been looking for the Warlord?

Marcus: "Lostchild," … "We're setting traps along the Northeast and West sides of the tree line to funnel in these bastards as much as we can. If you have any new science experiments that are ready, now is the time," ... "I won't force a new mother to fight. The noncombatants will be further up river, with a retinue of my men with word to retreat if things get bad. But we can use every fighter we've got," Marcus uttered. "No harm will come to your child, so long as I'm breathing, if you fight with us,"

Sarnai recognized the implied threat in the words: fight with us and I'll protect your son, sit the fight out and I make no promises. It wasn't wholly unexpected though and Sarnai hadn't been planning to wait in the wings with the non-combatants anyway. "I'll fight," she stated, absently running the pad of her thumb over the striped feathers of her arrows.

"Is the Green Duke with his men?" she asked, wondering if she'd get the chance to put an arrow through that beast's eye. "And who's leading the Northern fighters?" It didn't even dawn on her that her question in itself threatened to betray the truth of who she was. Why would a whore care who was leading an army?

Tags!